Thursday, March 25, 2010

End of A Clockwork Orange

I thought the book as a whole was very strange and not something I would normally read. A lot of important themes were disscussed like youth violence and freedom of choice, but the ending was very odd to me. I mean, once Alex was released he was pretty much a vegetable and I sort of pittied him and how he was targeted from his past gang members, but after a while he went back to his old ways anyway. So is it really necessary to pity or feel bad for someone because they do not have a choice anymore? I mean, when he was brainwashed he could not think for himself, so I did feel a little bad for him because you would think everyone should have the right to have a choice. But then when he could finally have a mind of his own, what did he do with it? He went right back to his old, violent ways. So are we supposed to pity those who do not have a choice if the choice they make will harm others? As discussed in class I believe this is one of the major issues being debated.

It also makes me sort of frustrated with the fact that in an instant, Alex decided he wanted to be "good" and have a family. On page 212 he blames his violent actions as being young in stating "And all it was was that I was young. But now as I end this story, brothers, I am not young, not no longer, oh no. Alex like groweth up, oh yes." So to me it is bizarre that all of a sudden he wants to "change his ways" and have a family just because now he is grown up? I don't think so. How can somebody truly change that quickly? It seems almost impossible and almost as if there should be "A Clockwork Orange II". I would like to see how Alex "changed" when he met a woman, fell in love, and had children. It would be sort of scary for the fact that he has a reputation for raping women and being very physically aggressive towards others so I would be very curious how he would even act around a woman and a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment