Thursday, April 8, 2010

Farenheit 451

So far I really like the book. The idea of a world where firemen actually start fires seems almost impossible. I couldn't even imagine a world where anyone was allowed to start fires. But I do wonder if it will ever come to this. I mean, are books threatening? I certainly know that "free-thinking" individuals are commonly seen as a threat, even in today's society, but will it come to eliminating books and these individuals all together? One of the topics we discussed in our group today was what we thought really happened to Clarisse. Quite honestly most of us agreed that her and her family were either killed or asked to leave because they "knew too much" or had their own point of view, which threatens the society they live in. And what would happen if more people thought like Clarisse and her family? Would being a fireman even be accepted?

As an in class writing assignment I decided to elaborate on question number one when asked to discuss the symbols used in the book. I thought some of the symbols were the books, which show the intimidation felt from the firemen and also the diminishing of free thinking, the firemen which expresses the power in society, and the dandelion which I feel is the scene where Montage truly questions his happiness with his life, and therefore creates questions with his employment and his marriage. Overall I am very pleased with this reading and I am eager to see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I feel like they did get rid of Clarisse and her family in some way. They couldn't have them starting problems and getting people to think about the book burning and how its wrong. The people were really not allowed to think too mush or be too smart so they kept books from people to keep it from happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel that they did get rid of Clarisse and there family. Because, they as Clarisse said would sit and talk and she even admitted to Montag that she liked to think. This book really does connect to our world today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well! Free-Thinking people are seen as a threat. I wonder with all of the information that we have learned in this class are we now seen as free thinkers.

    ReplyDelete