Saturday, February 20, 2010

Challenge (Day 2)

I began the Thoreau Challenge yesterday (Friday) and must say so far so good. Thursday night I made sure I told my friends/roommates/family about the challenge so they would not get mad if I did not answer my phone. Yesterday (Friday) was a little weird because during the week I tend to have a daily routine. Every morning after my shower I go in my room and pop in a movie or listen to music while I get ready to wake up a bit. It was very strange because I got ready in silence! Surprisingly, without the distractions from the TV or the radio I was ready a lot faster than normal. Then I went to classes until 1 and then studied for some tests until 4 so I was moving right along the day. I then headed to my boyfriend's house, Nick, for the weekend. Usually on a Friday night we sit on the couch and watch a nice movie together. Instead I got Nick to call his dad and tell him we were coming over for a family game night. To my surprise his family thought it was a good idea to have a game night (his family is usually more attached to technology than anyone I know). So we played the board game Sequence, and then I taught his brothers how to play poker. Then we went with his family to a magic shop so his little brother could practice with a pro. By that time we ate dinner, came home and went to bed.

This morning, Saturday, was worse! We woke up without an alarm clock and I immediately hopped in the shower to wake up. When I got out of the shower, Nick had the news on so I got ready in the dining room so I could keep my "winning" streak. Since he was watching the news and I was tempted to join him, I decided to make us an awesome breakfast. We had homemade home fries, dippy eggs, toast, grits, and coffee (which is better than the normal cereal or oatmeal). Then we got some laundry done, I did the dishes, and stripped the beds all in silence. I typically do house work with the music blaring so this was definitely a change. Instead I got to annoy Nick with my loud singing so at this point he really hated this challenge. Then we met my parents at the store to help them pick out paint colors for the house and went to Applebees for dinner. I just now got home and decided to do some homework while he plays playstation. So I am doing alright but it is just odd because I usually have a routine every morning/day and now things are slowly switching. In a way I like it because it is less to worry about, but I feel a little separated from reality by not watching the news and talking to my family/friends. I am staying pretty strong so far so we will see how the rest of my week goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment